What You Need
Java - Download it here
- Install JDK
- Right Click My Computer and click on Properties. Click on Advanced Tab and click on Environment Variables Button. You will see System Variables there. Click "New" under it. Set Variable Name = JAVA_HOME and Variable Value = path till jdk like C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_18
- In System Variables Section you will see a variable named Path. Select that and click on Edit. Add this at the start %JAVA_HOME%\bin;
- Go to command prompt and type java or javac. It should show a list of command options to go with particular java or javac.
- Installing Tomcat bundle is very easy one. Just unzip the bundle that you have downloaded. Go to the path C:\liferay\bundles\liferay-portal-5.2.3\tomcat-6.0.18\bin and double click startup.bat.
- Server should start up as shown in the screen below and it will automatically open your default browser with liferay homepage.